Wednesday 11 September 2013

Spectacular Northwest Territories – Life Lessons on The Ingraham Trail

I used to bug an ex of mine that he was missing out on truly seeing and experiencing the beauty around him while hiding behind his camera lens. The other day I realized that I was living my current experience based on what I could write about it for my blog – beginning to compose it in my mind right then and there, during the experience. I suppose in some ways this may help to notice details and/or gain insight that I may have otherwise missed... but what else might I be missing about the experience by hiding behind my pen?


Submerge yourself in the beauty of life this week -”
my friend's well wishes for this trip west have been running through my mind,
“- pretty sure you'll find answers there...”

 


It's amazing sometimes, the things you can learn, experience, find... when you open yourself up to the possibility. I've had some interesting conversations and experiences since thinking about, writing and posting last week's blog. Including pretty quickly discovering a hidden secret along The Ingraham Trail.



  



Heading north out of Yellowknife, the scenery along the Ingraham Trail is pretty much the same from beginning to end. Lots of rocks on either side of the road; lots of green and – at least at this time of year – yellow, with a few splashes of red. 





 Moments of beauty are interspersed, some of the lakes more so than others. 
 

And after a time even some of these can start to become part of the “same” scenery... with seemingly fewer moments of beauty further on. Or maybe I just stopped less to appreciate them properly.

Sometimes you need to stop, pull off the main road and walk in a little deeper to find the beauty.

Sometimes you have to decide not to.


When I did stop, I never stayed in that space as long as I could have or perhaps would have liked. I was conscious of getting back to my “home base” (and cell service range) before dark so no one would worry where I was; wanting to keep moving to see what else was along the road, to see what was waiting at the end.

  
The road itself is far from smooth. The path curves along at 70km/hr, slowed by the bumps and potholes caused by bitter cold winters, constant construction, and pavement changing to gravel at the mid point.

 




 If only all construction came with warning signs and polite conclusions...









There are other things that stand out along the way as well, perhaps what and why speaking more about the observer than the actual things themselves:
 

Items that seem so out of place, you can't help but notice with discomfort or a chuckle.
 





 

  

The markings of those who have been before. Looking for a witness to their presence in that moment, in that space; a witness to their existence. 
 





 










The people sharing the road in this moment. The bus of tourists taking pictures. The parents with their unappreciative children. The cute guy with the slobbery dog. The group of girls wearing shoes completely unsuitable for the hike into the deeper beautiful spaces. And that couple who seem to be following you, or you them, to every stop; who sit and enjoy the scenery on their blanket, reminding you that sometimes the journey is better shared... until I remembered that at least I can stop and start whenever I want – and control the radio station - without considering someone else's enjoyment of the trip.



And then, at some point, the road just ends.




If only life had the option of turning around and driving back the way you came, to re-appreciate the beauty of the road.


No comments: