Thursday 11 July 2013

...we're a nice normal family.


 
This sign hung in the kitchen doorway at the cottage. “We're going to be in the next blog with that as the title, aren't we?!” asked my brothers with a chuckle during a late night card game. Little did they know how right they'd be. :)

My parents celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary this past spring. And so as a family we rented a cottage on Rice Lake for a week. One whole week we spent together – all 16 of us.

We laughed together. We ate and drank together. We cooked and cleaned and played together. We swam, fished, read stories (to the kids), played baseball, played endless games of Trouble, made S'mores around the campfire, and “ooh'd and awed” at the fireworks. I cuddled with my nieces way too early in the morning, and tried to avoid the restless kicks of a 4yr old throughout the night. For 7 days we tried to forget that the outside world existed, and just enjoyed each others company in a way that one-day family dinners – interrupted by rushing to get the kids home to bed – doesn't allow. We celebrated 40 years; we celebrated each other; we celebrated the tie that bonds us.

...we're a nice normal family.

A friend commented, “40 years, wow. Is it a happy marriage, 40 years later?”
I flashed an understanding smile at the cynicism behind the question, and responded: “Yeah. I mean all couples and families have their ups and downs, but yes. They're happy... inspirational! Something I likely will never have that long myself...”

My family – we are relatively close. That's how I describe it. We share some laughs, we share some tears, we keep some secrets. We love each other quietly yet deeply; and that shines brightest when one or more of us are openly struggling with something – in “crisis mode” I call it.
For example, my parents have welcomed me back to their living space time and time again over the last 10 years when I had no where else to go; and when my heart was broken 7 years ago my protective big brothers stepped up and offered to break some legs. To this day they still get tense and wary when I refer back to that time, or talk about another who has or may hurt me.

Truth is, I have loved watching my relationship with my parents and each of my brother's change over time – as we have experienced our own life stages and events; with the introduction of sisters-in-law and children; amidst travels and moves that have taken us away from and/or brought us back to each other; through successes, challenges, and growth. Not always close, not always harmonious, but always present.

...we're a nice normal family.

Reading this sign, I had to ask myself “But what is 'normal' anymore, really?”
Families come in all shapes, sizes, and colours these days – marriages that last 40+ years, and significant relationships that don't last 40 days. Siblings who are best friends, and those who never speak. Children who are born to a family, and those that are adopted in whether legally for honorarily. So what is it that truly characterizes “a nice normal family?”

For us – I think it is an underlying respect, acceptance, and the often unspoken love. That we can be so different in our growth experiences and who we have become, yet stay connected and find our way back to each other with that thread – the tie that bonds us. Our nice normal family!

What is it for you and your's?

No comments: