Wednesday 8 January 2014

What if I'm just not lucky?


 “I'd rather be lucky than good”


During a conversation with a friend a few weeks ago about a sense of entitlement, luck, and getting what one deserves; I mentioned that I have often felt lucky. “How so?”, she asked. “Well,” I responded, like I have never really had difficulty getting a job. Typically if I actually get to the interview part of the process, I'm offered the job.” 

“What if it wasn't luck?” she pushed further. “What if you were just the best applicant?”

Her questioning made me pause. And consider in a new light this “am I enough” question I have so often struggled with. What if she was right? What if I wasn't lucky, but qualified?

I started considering this prospect in other areas where I've felt lucky:
What if I wasn't lucky to have met all the great people and friends I have over the years; but have an attractive personality and am a good friend myself?

What if I wasn't lucky to have usually found just enough money to scrape by at the end of the month; but resourceful in managing my money?

What if I wasn't lucky to have gotten into grad school; but smart?

What if I wasn't lucky to have travelled the world; but motivated to chase my dreams?

What if I wasn't lucky to have gotten to where I am today; but hardworking?


          What if I'm just not lucky... but deserving? 
 
                                                           What if I'm just not lucky... but good?

Last week I found out that I wasn't offered the job after the interview. And it was disappointing. Definitely not lucky. But in a feedback conversation with the interviewer, the message I received is that I was deserving, qualified, and would have been an asset. The decision in the end came down to experience. Which, while mine was less than the other candidate, does not take away from the other positives. And is something that can – and will – be fixed with personality, resourcefulness, smarts, motivation and hardwork. All things that have maybe benefited me in the past.

I used to really dislike it when an old friend of mine would say “I'd rather be lucky than good.”
But the truth is, there is a responsibility that comes with being good. A responsibility to own your successes, and failures, and to push yourself with those things you are good at.
Luck – well, luck doesn't really require much effort. So I guess I can understand wanting to be lucky rather than good; to put in little effort vs. taking responsibility.

I would venture to argue that in most instances, a little bit of luck is present and helpful. Still with the realization that maybe I'm just not lucky, I'll settle for being good!

No comments: