Saturday 6 September 2014

Party-pooper is a name I've been called before

 
The one who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. 
The one who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been before.
~ Albert Einstein

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), often referred to as "Lou Gehrig's Disease," is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord... When the motor neurons die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost. 

 
When I was younger if I didn't want to do something, rather than wish my comrades well in their chosen activities and go on my way, I would pout a little and get angry. Frustrated that things weren't going the way I'd planned or wanted. I'd like to think that I have grown and matured past this kind of reaction and behaviour... yet for the last few days I have been hearing that voice in the back of my head yelling “But I don't want to dump ice-water over my head!” Complete with fists clenched, mouth in a pout, and the stomp of a foot.

I have never really been one to jump too quickly on the fad-band-wagon. Or at least I have been very selective about which ones I do join. And I have had mixed feelings about this ALS ice-bucket challenge since the very first video showed up on my Facebook newsfeed. Knowing a nomination was at some point inevitable... I vowed to find a diplomatic way of politely declining, while feeling some camaraderie support among others who either did the same out-right or with a creative variation. Like this guy. Or this woman. Or these people.

Truth is I find it frustrating that, as one friend pointed out over drinks, we are a people who respond to gimmicks and ploys such as the ice-bucket challenge; that perhaps in some way we even need them in order to feel justified in giving of our money, time, talents, etc to benefit those in need.

I appreciate that a tremendous amount of awareness and finances have been raised for ALS! That truly is fantastic, and I do not mean to take away from the success. In fact even with this blog, conversations about ALS and donating of time and resources are continuing. But do we really need to instigate a world-wide dumping of water in order to achieve this? When so many struggle hourly to find clean drinking water? When our own natural resources in such a relatively rich country are dwindling faster than anyone would care to admit?

Despite the raised awareness – which again I struggle with, as my own experience of the multiple videos gracing my newsfeed really has taught me nothing about ALS specifically (until I did my own Google search for this blog) other than that the organizations supporting and researching are in need of money; as are so many other non-profit organizations and charities these days – it seems as though for some of those videos the donating is secondary to the opportunity to make a video that was better then the friend who nominated and to become “famous” on Facebook or even YouTube... if only for a moment.

The only thing ALS support organizers have done differently than any other charity is find a gimmick that works. For now...

And good for them! I have heard from those who participated how fun it was to gather friends and family together to complete the challenge. I have heard arguments that it's working, and at least it is something which is better than nothing. I have heard specific heart-warming stories of how the surplus of donations has been used to support those struggling with ALS on a daily basis. And I am glad for all those things! Please do not let my party-pooper attitude take away from your own experience of this challenge, nor from the success it has gained.

But tell me, what happens next week? Next month? Next year? What happens when everyone who can be has been nominated and the last of the videos aired? For all of you who have completed the ice-bucket challenge and made your one-time donation to support ALS, what will you do next? What will I do next?

I'd like to see this gimmick give way to a bigger, deeper challenge for us all:
Don't let the spirit of fun, something better than nothing, and heart-warming stories of success fade with the chill that the ice-water gave you. What can you/we do next?

I used to tithe 10% of my income every month. A practice I stopped years ago. In responding to this challenge and my own nomination earlier this week I am feeling challenged to, in one way shape or form, start doing that again. Whether it is with regular financial contributions to various organizations, or giving of some other resource, talent or excess that I have to share as the Aussie newscaster suggested in the video link above. The what, how much and where to is likely less important than the acknowledgment that I have excess; less important than the awareness of someone other than myself who is in need; less important than the actual doing of something which is better than nothing.

And so Big Brother - “thank you” for the nomination, the opportunity to share my views on the ice-bucket challenge; and the inspiration to challenge myself to continue it's spirit in the days to come. I will make a donation to ALS, but this party-pooper will not be dumping an ice-bucket over my head. And only in part because I hate the idea of subjecting my body to ice-cold water!



* I nominate everyone who has already or will participate in the ALS ice-bucket challenge to join me in continuing it's spirit in the days to come; to find your own way of always answering the “What can I do next?” question!

No comments: