Friday 4 April 2014

A phone is just a phone is (not) just a phone....








I love when we are talking on the phone 
and being able to tell when you're smiling, 
it makes me smile. 
And when I know you are smiling because of me, 
it makes my whole world brighter.
~ Brianna Marie Guzik











I got a phone call from a good friend late last night. We chatted and laughed about work, boys, dreams, and life. Before I even realized it 2 hours had flown by!

When I had first answered the phone just after 11:30pm, she asked, “Are you mad?” I thought this a most absurd question – who would be mad at the phone call of a good friend? No matter the time.

Remember “way back when”, when cell phones were only really starting to be carried by everyone and texting wasn't even a thing? I miss those long conversations, chatting about the day; making plans for the weekend. I miss connecting with friends who lived at a distance, sharing the important stories and hoping to be able to visit each other soon. I miss the excited nerves of dialling a number and having that last phone call of the day with someone special...

I mean texting is nice too. It's typically quick and easy. It feels good to know someone is thinking about you during the day. But there is something about hearing a person's voice that makes you feel more connected. Not quite the same as seeing their face; but in the absence of that opportunity a closer second than a text. Especially for the important or intense conversations. For phone calls that mark new beginnings, and phone calls that end something; phone calls that bring good news or bad, laughter or tears, joy or challenge; and phone calls where few words are spoken but there is comfort in knowing the person on the other end is there none the less.

I had to laugh a few months ago when I was in the market for a new phone, at comments made about some of the “phones” out there and all the fancy non-phone-type things they can do. How this is the best product because it can do X; or this one because it can do Y. I remember wondering, which one is best if I just want to use it as a phone?

So I'm saying this here, that I want to start using my phone more – as an actual phone!

Oh, I will still use it to check Facebook and e-mail; to organize my daily life's schedule; to look something up on the internet when my computer is not available; to play games, listen to music, take pictures, and watch videos. I will continue to send out texts because sometimes they are quick and easy. And because I like letting people know that I'm thinking about them at random times during the day. But don't be surprised, good friends of mine from near & far, if one of those texts you receive is asking if you have time for a phone date. And feel free to ask me for one too.

Because basically, I miss hearing your voice!

No comments: